By Leah Shapiro
People tell me all the time that I am interesting.
Mind you, these are typically people who live “normal”, mainstream lives. They have regular jobs, watch a lot of TV and are busy trying to keep up with everyone else. There’s a lot of the same-old-same-old going on in their daily lives as they try to fit into the pre-packaged world.
I always ask them, “What makes me so interesting?” and I get a similar answer every time. People are intrigued by my lifestyle: I am always doing something new and hanging out with exciting, cutting-edge people. I go to fun and funky events to which they wish they got invited. And, they find that I hold a unique perspective.
The biggest thing that interests them is that I do what I want in my life. They express a desire for all of the cool and exciting things that I experience but seems unavailable to them.
But, you know what?
This same fun and excitement is available to everyone! I’m nothing special. I just know the key to living a thrilling life. And I will let you in on my secret: Get to know your Inner-Freak.
We all have one. It’s that part of you that craves something different. It wants to try all kinds of funky stuff and be a bit wild. Your inner-freak knows what will make your life fun and exciting, and it is committed to feeling good. It books your vacations, buys tickets to go see the Slutcracker and wants to go to the Sex Museum. It’s the part of you that wants to try some bondage in the bedroom, and just knows that you will love the feeling of that latex dress you saw at the Fetish Flea Market. It also advises you to follow your dreams and whispers, “You can do it,” in your ear.
Because of this, your inner-freak knows where your happiness and success can be found. It brings your own one-of-a-kind perspective to the world and does not care what everyone else thinks you should be doing. It’s what makes you different, unique and allows you to stand out from the crowd. It also knows the fastest route to your Kick-Ass Life.
This magical life compass is right there waiting for you to release it. All you have to do is be willing to take a chance and let it out to play! It’s sad and lonely when you lock it away, but that is exactly what so many people have been doing for far too long! Now is the perfect time to make friends with your Inner-Freak and allow it to teach you all it knows about what will make your life Kick-Ass.
Here are some simple ways to let your Inner-Freak out to play:
1. Give yourself permission to be different and go your own way. Your Inner-Freak knows exactly what is unique and special about you, but because you have ignored it for so long, it needs your permission to come out and show you the way.
2. Break out of the daily grind and boring routines by doing one thing different every day. Your Inner-Freak hates your mindless routine! It’s so boring! Shake things up a bit everyday to keep yourself engaged and interested. Try a new drink at Starbucks, wear a fancy pair of panties to work or drive to work a different way.
3. Create quiet space to connect with your Inner-Freak. It has a wealth of information to share, but it is vitally important that you create some space to listen to it. Sit quietly every day, go for a walk without the i-pod, journal, make art, or whatever feels good to you.
4. Expand your horizons. Go to Burning Man, check out a cool new Meet-Up Group and meet some new people, do some research on the web about the place you always wanted to go, or explore a new part of the city. See what catches your eye. This is your Inner-Freak showing you the way.
5. Give yourself permission to explore everything that is appealing to you – especially if you told yourself you can’t or shouldn’t do it. (Let’s be clear, I’m not talking about going out and drinking a whole bottle of tequila.) I do encourage you to give yourself permission to explore your dream of being a doula, or give up your business in order to take that teaching job that sounds like a blast. If something is appealing to you, explore it and try it on for size. The fact that it is appealing is your Inner-Freak telling you that there is something there for you.
Try a few of these things out and let me know what happens by leaving a comment below!