Giving Sex Work a Voice

Posted by on September 14, 2011
Sep 142011

By DNGG Give the people a voice and they will tell their stories. Cultural Studies scholars have long argued the political and social importance of minority and oppressed groups to be heard. Recent years have seen an uptick in news stories, blogs, and social media campaigns highlighting “voices” from the fringes (queers, the homeless, the […]

An afternoon with CARAS

Posted by on August 27, 2011
Aug 272011

By Kat Stamoulis

This year the 2011 Alternatives Sexualities Conference was held in Washington, DC, having moved from its previous homes in Chicago and San Francisco. I was in attendance at the conference, hosted by CARAS, not as a researcher or a clinician in the field, but as an undergraduate student with a passion for human sexuality as well as an active member of the kink scene.

Rebuilding the Barter System

Posted by on August 13, 2011
Aug 132011

By Shanna Katz

Something I truly love about being a member of smaller communities is that for the most part, we look after our own. When someone needs a ride to an event, people band together to help them out. Here in Denver, we have Leather Magick, a kink specific charity group that local dungeons (public and private) fundraise for.

The Next Level

Posted by on August 8, 2011
Aug 082011

By Sarah Sloane

Everybody has to start somewhere. For most of us, we begin to present classes and workshops because we’re known for a particular skill set or a certain type of knowledge, and we teach what we know. Eventually, though, many of us come to the conclusion that we don’t want to just teach the same thing, over and over

Jul 262011

How I Became a Sex Educator without Really Meaning To

By Robin Mandell

Looking back, it seems that I was always destined to become a sex educator. If my interest in sex wasn’t enough of an indication, my passion for social justice and equal access for all people should have given me a clue. I remember, as a high school student, being baffled by homophobia. It just didn’t make sense!

Straight Identity #1

Posted by on July 7, 2011
Jul 072011

By Shanna Katz

We often talk about the ”other” identities, those that are considered to deviate from the norm – the LGBTQ community, the kinky folk, the non-monogamous folks, etc. However, EVERYONE has identities, even if your identities may be more of what society deems to be the ”defaults,”…

Jun 232011

By Clare Jacky

I often tell people that the majority of my job is the “unsexy stuff.” Most days are spent with bookkeeping, inventory management, event planning meetings, and a constant stream of paperwork. I spend a lot more time brainstorming about our point of sale system than erotic fantasies.