Prostitution & Professional Domination

Posted by on January 30, 2013
Jan 302013

Prostitution & Professional Domination

In Rhode Island, by an oversight of the criminal code indoor prostitution was legal until just recently;  in Reno Nevada it’s still legal. Next door in California, anyone convicted of prostuitution could face up to one year in prison and $1,000 fine.  Las Vegas and Atlantic City used to be the only places you could […]

Blossoming Affection as Activism

Posted by on December 16, 2012
Dec 162012

Blossoming Affection as Activism

When last I visited my Seattle boyfriend, we were holding hands in public on our way to a movie in the downtown area. After many years of therapy and self-work to rid myself of abusive religion in my childhood, I was proud of myself for being so comfortable — almost unconscious about expressing basic affection […]

Perverts Give Back Too

Posted by on December 1, 2012
Dec 012012

Perverts Give Back Too

Something that our communities, small and insular as we may be, have on many others, is how we take care of our own. Sure, many faith based communities have holiday programs and outreach throughout the year. However, very few identity based communities, particularly ones around activities and relationships, take the time and energy to support […]

In Praise of Closed Doors

Posted by on November 28, 2012
Nov 282012

In Praise of Closed Doors

In an earlier column I discussed the idea of kinky community as a collection of smaller groups rather than one great behemoth.  I looked at the idea that perhaps we have gotten so large, so encompassing in our demographics and sub-groups that one definition of ‘us’ is ill-fitting and due for a makeover.  The bigger […]

The Ally of My Ally Should Be My Ally

Posted by on November 19, 2012
Nov 192012

The Ally of My Ally Should Be My Ally

One of the things that each marginalized community needs to work on learning is that we must support our allies in other communities, in order to ask them to support us. As a member of several marginalized communities, as well as a staunch ally to others, it so saddens me when I see the division […]

Feeling left out…

Posted by on November 6, 2012
Nov 062012

Feeling left out…

Last weekend was another example of wishing I could be in two places at once. I was originally going to be attending the Good Vibrations “Sex Summit”, a day-long conference featuring some of the most coveted educators and activists in the field. It seems that almost every weekend, across the USA, there is some sort […]

The Culture of Radical Sex?

Posted by on November 4, 2012
Nov 042012

The Culture of Radical Sex?

In 1994, Pat Califia committed her thoughts on gender, sexuality, censorship, kink, prostitution, safer sex, and leather to print in a book titled Public Sex: The Culture of Radical Sex. As an outspoken, self-identified leather dyke, Califia took on laymen and academics alike for “white-washing” and “sanitizing” sex and its transformative and radical abilities. She […]

Going Rogue: Dragging Kink Into the Shadows

Posted by on October 16, 2012
Oct 162012

Going Rogue: Dragging Kink Into the Shadows

Often those that participate in kink, BDSM, and alternative lifestyles like to think of themselves as social outlaws, people that live and love on the edge. They view themselves as renegades and outsiders, shirking the rule of mainstream society. And, in some ways, I suppose this is true. In comparison to mainstream culture, kink is […]

Vetting the Volunteer

Posted by on October 10, 2012
Oct 102012

Vetting the Volunteer

There I was, like so many others in the lunchrooms of corporate America, watching a coworker read 50 Shades of Grey.  She asked my opinion, and I politely declined to share it.  I haven’t read the book.  I’m not interested in passing judgment on the book.  Plenty of other folks have read it and rendered […]